Sunday, February 12, 2012

Taking a Risk

It would be huge lie if I were to say that I have never taken a risk in my life or have never thought about taking one. To be honest, I’ve taken so many risks in my life -- I’ve gained some great benefits and some ended in a bad note that only gave me life lessons. People at my age may have tried dangerous things and survived. Unfortunately, there are also those who have dared to do the unthinkable and did not survive. Though, let’s not be pessimistic about such a topic. Let’s dwell in the bright side instead. Indeed, taking a chance does not always result a sad ending, it also brings new opportunities and opens new doors to one’s life. Not only that, taking risks can help a person open their eyes into making the right decisions.

One of the many risk that I have taken in my life was when I went to an open audition for anyone who desired to be in the entertainment field via singer, dancer, acting, composer, modeling. As a kid and up until now I’ve always find dancing very entertaining and exhilarating. It was just of my favorite things to do as a hobby that I do alone on my free time. Before, dancing was just a passion; never would have I thought that dancing would be one of the few things that I have found passion in. I am not a professional dancer nor was I enrolled in a dancing school. Instead, I was down my living room in front of a computer on YouTube, learning some new choreography to a song or down in the basement with my iPod hooked on a stereo, dancing freestyle. The music easily ran through my mind and my body, feeling every single beats. That was my passion.

Then one day, I happened to come across this site that was holding an open audition in New York to any young aspiring talents to showcase their talents. My attention automatically sparked while my eyes widened. Right there and then, I knew that I wanted to to join the audition. Although, something inside me held me back from signing up for the audition, I had doubts about myself and how I might make a fool out of myself due to my shyness when put on the limelight. I was never the type of person who enjoyed being put on the spotlight or being the center of the attention. I hated the feeling. And so, I decided to ignore the audition. A couple of days after stumbling upon on the audition site, my friend and I were discussing about music and our passion for it -- her in singing while I talked about dancing. She then mentioned an audition site that was happening in New York. Ironically enough, she was talking about the SAME EXACT audition that caught my attention a few days back. She encouraged me to tryout for the audition. I refused at first, explaining to her about my fear of making a fool out of myself in front of everyone and my lack of confidence. But her constant words of encouragement gave me some push towards my decision of auditioning. I came home that day with the thoughts of the audition running wildly on my mind, I was hesitant a bit due to the fact that my parents my just laugh at me and reject at my silly thoughts. Yes, I was also afraid of what my parents would think about it,but my desire to go to the audition was far greater than what I had expected that somehow I was able to put all my fears behind me and end up asking my parents if I could go to the audition site. To my surprise, they were quite supportive of me and took me to the audition. I was very much relieved, the happiness and excitement I felt inside was more than what I could describe. And so, I auditioned and had a blast. Though I didn’t get too far with the audition, I was able to take home a once in a lifetime experience. I took a risk and what I had gained from it was far more than what I could benefit from. By taking a chance, my passion for dancing grew even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment